Featured Post

90 Days & Beyond

To say that I have been under intense personal construction and refinement these past months is an understatement. The choice to "not ...

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Overwhelmed?

If you are breathing and responsible for anything other than showering, sleeping, and eating, you get overwhelmed.  Life is complicated and the more obstacles you have the more obstacles you encounter...can be a vicious cycle for sure.  Finding balance is key, but as I have said numerous times balance is fleeting and like happiness something you constantly have to appreciate while you have it and strive for when you don't.  Balance

Like superpowers, being overwhelmed should be used for good and not bad.  Don't let your anxiety and stress cause you to forfeit your goals by giving up on them.  Just because things seem impossible doesn't mean they are .... just means it's time to sit down and examine what is or isn't working and regroup.  My personal experience is that if I am overwhelmed, anxious, and feeling like I should just surrender it's likely because I have let my boundaries be violated either by me or others in my life.  The best thing at that point is for me to sit quietly by myself and honestly assess what my situation is and how to go about fixing it (not quitting it).  There are good reasons to jump ship on something, but make sure you are doing them for the right reasons and not because you are stressed and it's just easier to bail than reflect and move forward.  Two excellent books that have helped me tremendously are "Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life" by Henry Cloud and John Townsend & "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie

"We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee."  ~Marian Wright Edelman

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."  ~John Ruskin

No comments:

Post a Comment