Featured Post

90 Days & Beyond

To say that I have been under intense personal construction and refinement these past months is an understatement. The choice to "not ...

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Accountability & Support

Deep thoughts on the pros/cons of posting progress pics & all my numbers, etc. I've gone back and forth since I started this blog in 2011 about how much of me was good to share. Not from a place of ego or shame, but from a place of what best encourages and supports who I'm trying help (and why I'm trying to help). My thoughts have been this: I've followed other weight loss success stories, trainers, and the like, and the theme is always of how gloriously fabulous they look and do. That's not encouraging to most people. To me, posting a pic of my fabulousness is not what my personality is nor do I feel it helps you in any way. My purpose has been, and continues to be, to educate on the how/why of fitness, movement, nutrition, and to encourage, support, and assist you on your journey to the best you. My decision to share this 90 days "me" thing is that I'm currently not doing one-on-ones or groups, but when I was and was talking with people as they went on their journey to fit and healthy, the thing they needed most beyond the education and coaching was 1) to be understood; 2) to know that I wasn't judging them, but very much have struggled through the same (or similar) thoughts/feelings/issues/etc. Me sharing this 90 days journal of sorts, is to share the thoughts, feelings, strategies so you have both the education as well as knowing that you are not alone. We are all uniquely weird in a beautiful, wonderful way. At the same time, regardless of the mountain of the struggle of anyone's situation, the thoughts, feelings, etc., are the same (or similar). This isn't meant to be a "look at how wonderful I am and all I can do", but rather "I get that this is hard and let's do this hard together". Even in the harsh of what I say at times (tough love), especially on my Living Blog, isn't from a place of judgment. It's my perspective through my hardships, struggles, research, therapy, and life experiences. Your ship is yours to sail, and I honestly have no judgment in the fight of your life or your struggles. My opinions are of my life and my choices, and sharing them are to offer you possible answers or points to ponder in case they help you in yours.

Back to the pondering. It is important to have accountability for any real change (weight loss, elimination diets for health, nutritional lifestyle changes, life altering anythings). Accountability partner(s) are vital because, well, it keeps you going and makes you accountable when your drive fails you. It also gives you a cheering section of support (if you choose your partner well that is). Part of the accountability factor is not only tracking your progress in behavior changes (workouts, eating, actions, etc.) but also your progress in results (measurements, produced outcomes, etc.). Reporting such (checking in) with your accountability partner(s) is vital to this. Journaling is also an awesome tool, but that's a different thought for another time. For this 90 days, you are my accountability partners. In the past I have used friends and/or folks who are on the same journey as my partners. This go around, I am using this blog for a dual purpose....to keep me accountable and to share, in hopes it helps you on your journey. Hence my pondering on how much yada yada, etc. My instinct is to stay true to what I've done since 2011 in making it strictly the how to's and why's and support and encouragement and leave the bikini pics out of the mix.

If/when you start your 90 days to a healthier lifestyle (and you), and you want an accountability partner or group of partners (in a no judgment, but strictly supportive way), then you too can use this blog by leaving comments to my posts on your days 1-90 in a similar fashion of the structure I've established (we don't need your stats or your pics to support you on your habits or your struggles). I've also created a Facebook Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/283303582021306/) for such a purpose where I can also offer help, information, or support. When I get the site up and going (future, future) that I mentioned Monday, I will also have a community there for such assistance, but no need to wait 'til then ... let's live in the now and support each other now!

No comments:

Post a Comment