Featured Post

90 Days & Beyond

To say that I have been under intense personal construction and refinement these past months is an understatement. The choice to "not ...

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Day 2

Day 2 of 90 Day Nutrition/Fitness Challenge:

So the 4 1/2 hours sleep I started Day 2 with was not happy or any kinds of feel good at 5 am, but strong willed determination and whining dogs with the threat of peeing on the floor does wanders for painfully moving through the motions of the morning as if I had had a full night's sleep. Still trying to get in the habits and mindset by going through the motions at times and forcing at other times to put my basic health needs on the list of the day. Time is always short and the to-do list is always long, but dead isn't going to get anything done, so time for health is vital. Modeling this for children is just as vital, so they have the healthy habits without having to struggle through obtaining them later in life (and for all their life). Children do what they see done by those around them. Reminding myself that time for me taking care of my health is as much a gift to the kiddos as all the other rest of the day I do directly for them. I mean come on, they get to have me in their lives longer for one ;-) and for another (and more importantly), they absorb the importance of taking care of themselves.

Time and lists! Yeah so my approach is to fit "my stuff" in within reasonable and doable time slots rather than focused so much on doing all of "my stuff" and letting time get out of hand and lists not getting done which will then just set me up to fail, give up, and once again take "me" off the lists. From a metabolic standpoint, this approach really fires up the furnace when I have to push through a workout within a certain amount of time! It also takes the thinking out of what I'm doing and possibly talking myself out of anything I just don't want to do (such as intervals or that last set of push ups). My time allotments right now are 30 min for a workout or run & 30 min for yoga. So an hour each day broken up around kids' breakfast prep with everything done by 8:30 am. including shower (sounds crazy but showers aren't even a given some days). The rest of the time between 5 am & 7 am is when I get to spend time writing and studying. Kids are up at some point during that time, but it's their time to themselves before their day begins as everything gets really busy with school, chores, and the to-do lists after breakfast, which is why for me it's necessary to tackle it all before the madness happens.

Day 2 Reporting:
*Run done....lack of sleep headache and the desire to stay at my desk was a strong force willing me not to go outside, but I did and it made all the difference! I love the smells of honeysuckle and the sounds of birds chirping. It was less a run and more of a jog/walk in intervals due to me being so far from my best fitness shape/abilities, but rather than feeling defeated, I was filled with gratitude for my body allowing this therapy in nature! (time spent 30 min....goal is to get back to where I used to be by progressing further each time and accomplishing more distance within those 30 min).
*Yoga on the deck was just what I needed to mitigate sleep deficit and balance myself for the day!!! A hawk flew overhead and a chickadee chirped on the roof and I once again felt connected to my body and my soul. Course, I killed three ants and one mosquito so I'm sure that wasn't very yoga like, but bugs are not my zen place.
*My meals were much more metabolically supportive today and I hit my caloric intake. I haven't had gluten, corn, sugar, alcohol, soy for a week and while I'm still very inflamed and pain ridden from autoimmune flare up, it's not as bad as it was the past weeks so I know I'm slowly climbing back to a place with much less pain. I've reduced my caffeine to one (sometimes two) cups a day and over the next few weeks will dwindle it down to nothing (very sad, sad face). The only dairy I'm consuming is the greek yogurt and whey protein which I will keep for now, but other than that am dairy free. Party on indeed! I was two servings shy of my veggie intake today, so making sure I do better ongoing.
*I managed to get 5 1/2 hours of sleep Day 2 which was very necessary for me not to spiral in the pain. I need to do better and get the 7 hours minimum everyday or my body is going to make things really difficult. Yaye to sleep!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment